Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Wet Dirt

It's no secret that I'm not a fan of rain. While the area we live in is wonderful in many respects, my biggest problem with it is the RAIN, and the mediocrity of temperatures (but that's a whole other post). I just do not like rain, particularly the drizzly type that lasts for days on end.

That being said, there are some smells that rain produces that I quite enjoy. Like on a hot summer day when it has not rained in a bit and suddenly big fat drops begin to fall from the sky.... the initial smell that results is a delight.

The other is the smell of wet dirt. As a kid I grew up camping in Birch Bay where our days would be spent galavanting around the woods, building forts, climbing, running and generally just getting dirty. There is a particular smell that the dirt in those woods has when it's wet.

You can't always smell it - there are certain conditions that bring it out. Today, I had the joy of smelling wet dirt. I was jogging at my favorite trail at Lake Padden. Parts of the trail are shaded by a canopy of trees so that very little sunlight can seep through. It was these parts that were still damp from yesterdays rain... and that sweet aroma of wet dirt wafted up, and propelled me with joy through my run.

No comments: