Friday, July 03, 2009

Smell It

Last week I met up with a good friend from Taiwan. In spite of her living in Vancouver for the past few years, our crazy school schedules have not allowed us to see each other as much as we would like.

We met up in Richmond since this was a midway point for us, and sort of perfect since it's Asia-land. Western food was not even considered, so it was a matter of which variety of Asian food we wanted. We decided to go for something hot since it was a rainy day.

I had remembered seeing a noodle house a few streets away. The only reason that I even noticed that there was a noodle house was because the words "noodle house" were the only English words on all of the signage for that group of shops.

I told Jen about it and her response was "Let's go check it out and see how it smells." No I realize that to many this seems like an odd response, but to me it made sense.

We parked and walked in. All of the signs were in Chinese. All of the people sitting there were Chinese. The tables were set up very... well, Chinese. And it smelled good. So we decided to stay. We were the only two white people in there for over an hour!

It was a delightful lunch and we both felt like we were back in Taiwan. Gotta love Richmond!

PS - I got a parking ticket on my car because I was parked for over an hour. I complained to the restaurant since I was sitting in there eating and my car was parked right in front of the restaurant. The owner said he would take care of it. I told Jen "I bet you his way of taking care of it is that he has enough guanchie built up with the parking guys that they will just ignore it."

No comments: