Monday, March 23, 2009

Mission Accomplished!

I meant to post this a few months ago. Ooops!

At the begining of 08, I set a goal of wanting to work out 3 times a week. I had set goals like this before, and never really followed through. I knew that I needed accountability.... but who? Not hubby - love him, but seriously if he told me that i had to go work out, I just don't think that it would be good for our marriage.

So I decided to be my own accountability and invented the red dot system. I printed out a calendar for the year, with my goal at the top, and put it up on my bulletin board in the kitchen where anyone who comes by can see. Every time I worked out, I would color the day in red.

And it worked! Through school and breaks, sickness and vacations, exhaustion and finals, I managed to work out three days every week of 08! That little red dot wielded a lot of power in my life - it would get me out of bed at 5am, push me to run after shifts, and generally just got me going, even when I didn't want to.

Most of these work outs were runs. In fact I did over 550 miles last year - pretty proud of that!

I've started the same thing for 09 and so far so good!

No comments: