Sunday, September 16, 2007

So how is school?

This has been the most common question I have received lately, so I figure that I will just answer it here. School is great! For those of you who don't know, I'm going to UBC's School of Nursing. It's an intense 5 semester BSN program that I will finish in April of 09 (not that I'm counting alread!)

The program moves very quickly and we are already starting our clinicals next week! Yikes! So far, we've had a lot of front loading on basic skills so that we will be ready to go into the hospitals. And that means A LOT of reading. Such fun.

The commute is going ok. It takes me about 1.5-2 hours from my door to UBC, each way. It isn't too bad though because I can park my car at the South Surrey Park and Ride and hop on a bus into the city. This is good for MANY reasons including:

- I don't have to drive and deal with traffic!
- I can relax and read on the bus
- It's cheap! I get a U-pass through school so my commuting costs are $25/month. Can't go wrong with that!

Unfortunately, the school didn't give us much info before we started, so I have spent the past two weeks running around trying to get all of my equipment and uniforms sorted out. Shopping for scrubs has been fun, but tiring. There are SO many styles out there, and none of them make me look like Meredith Gray! Grr. But I did finally find a style that I like and that are actually flattering. Urbane Scrubs. They should be arriving this week so I'll post a pic as soon as I get them.

The other students in the program are really great and our instructors seem to be pretty good so far too. All in all, the next 20 months are going to be an interesting adventure with many bizarre stories I'm sure! I'll keep you posted of the really crazy ones! :)

1 comment:

Shawna said...

I was wondering how it was going but didn't want to bother you!

Praying that the next 20 months {yikes} goes fast and that you excel in everything that you do (which I'm sure you will!)